My daughter just turned one. Yay! I am happy to report that her baby quilt was finished BEFORE her first birthday. (Or, realistically, happy to report I got it finished at all!)
This is my very first quilt that I designed, pieced, and quilted entirely myself. I drew it out on graph paper first, a very rough sketch, then cut out the background pieces. I printed out the stars and used my light board to sketch them on to freezer paper. I then ironed the freezer paper on to the main fabric, cut out the shapes, then iron the fabric onto the background panels, stitch them down, and then finally sew the panels together.
The name was the hardest part- that and the moon, because it was so big it overlapped a few background panels, meaning I had to sew the panels together first and THEN stitch the moon down. I was worried about the moon moving during stitching (even though I used approximately 1 billion pins) and causing the fabric to bunch. But it worked out!
I then basted it using 505 Spray (I’m nervous because you aren’t supposed to use it when pregnant, and use it in a well-ventilated area… so I did it when it was nice out and in the garage and AFTER Athena was born) and started quilting.
For the quilting I did an all-over meander… a very dense meander. It isn’t the best, but it isn’t the worst, and it was my first time doing a meander so I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
As for the stars/planets/letters, I started doing a double echo around each one but then went down to just one echo. Again, nobody is going to notice from 20 feet away so it’s good enough for me!
I was able to bind it in some leftover purple that matched absolutely perfectly with the purple in the space fabric. Also, I didn’t know this at the time of purchase, but the space fabric has glitter in it… that is now everywhere in my sewing room. I think I’ll be finding glitter in my machine for the rest of my life!