Ocean Illusion Quilts

Here’s another couple of UFOs I’ve finished during this quarantine! These are two sister quilts that I pieced at the same time, but since one was for a gift, that one got finished and given while it’s sister quilt sat in my ‘to quilt’ and then my ‘to bind’ pile for far longer than it should have.

IMG_20190525_103429I found this pattern free online, and it was written in German (I think). However, I was able to use the measurements and images in the pattern to figure it out! Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find the pattern since then.

Luckily, I wrote the pattern in English as I was going along. If you’d like to make it, feel free to check out the pattern here. I haven’t been able to find the original pattern to credit the author of it- if anyone finds (or knows of) it, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due!

The top, although seemingly complicated, is actually just a bunch of strip sets cut in different widths and sewn together. The trickiest part, for me anyways, was making sure each strip stayed in the correct order.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190512103634819_COVER

I chose to use a batik that had some movement in it but still had a cohesive “color” when viewed from a distance. I really loved the vibrancy of the blue/green waves- it was such fun to work with as I was assembling the tops! 

For quilting, I chose to use white on top and a gorgeous variegated blue/green/purple thread on the bottom, and all I did was stitch in the ditch so that it didn’t take away from the overall flow of the quilt tops.

 

Colette Quilt

Okay, so it’s been awhile. Life has been crazy! Since I last posted, our family has grown by one, so it’s been an adjustment!

This quilt has been a WIP for almost EXACTLY 4 years. I bought the fabric (Colette by Moda) in August of 2016. I started work on it the following summer during our family vacation, and didn’t complete the top until the following year.

I assembled it into what I *thought* would be a good broken dishes pattern, but I think it turned out looking more like a pinwheel quilt, so when I designed the quilting pattern, I tried to pick out something that would try to help distinguish the separate blocks.

Last summer I was lucky enough to finally be able to put this quilt top on my MIL’s longarm, and I spent roughly 10 hours quilting it over 3 days. I used a combination of free motion quilting and ruler work. It’s very far from perfect (there’s a row or two where I accidentally did the wrong ‘block’ pattern which messed up the rest of the row. But, overall, for my first attempt, I’m really pleased with how it turned out!

I backed it with a 108” backing from Connecting Threads, only realizing 3 months later that I had already bought backing for it years ago. Oops. It all worked out in the end, though. At least I bound it in the original fabric I purchased for it!

img_20200616_121112

Stay tuned, I have a VERY exciting announcement coming in the next few weeks!