Video Game Quilt Design – Minecraft!

One of my hobbies has always been video games. My passion started when I was in elementary school. It has continued to the present day- and I must say, I was pretty excited when I figured out that my love of video games and my love of quilting could coincide. For the last week or so I have been working on designing a Minecraft-themed quilt; I don’t know if this one will ever come to fruition, mostly because of all the different Kona colors I would need. It would be crazy.

Finished size is 52'' x 52''

Finished size is 52” x 52”

This quilt is also a little bit tricky because for some of the blocks you can get away with 2” squares and some blocks are going to have to be 1” squares, which can definitely mess with you if you aren’t careful. Total block size is 16”. Luckily, there are far more 2” square blocks than 1”. Is it possible to make this quilt entirely with blocks made from 2” squares? Yes. But I felt like I lost too much detail if I did that, and then it would seem like a cheap, badly done ripoff. Especially the TNT- there are four colors in the TNT in the game, and while I tried it with just two colors it lost much of the definition and looked wrong.

If I’m going to rip off a video game, I want to do it right, dangit!

The following blocks are created using 1” squares:

Diamond Sword block Dirt block TNT block

The rest of the blocks are done using 2” squares. I don’t have a close up of Steve (the human) or the pig- they got lost, unfortunately.

Lava block Enderman block Creeper block Cow block

The important thing with these blocks is the variety of colors used in them. Take the creeper, for instance. If I were to use just one shade of green for it, it would still look like a creeper, but it wouldn’t be nearly as authentic. Take a look at what I mean:

Creeper Block #2 Creeper block

You can tell what they are, but which one looks more like the real in-game monster? The same goes for the other blocks. The only one I somewhat cheated on was the pig, and that was because EQ7 just didn’t have the colors I needed- it would have looked a lot worse. If I were to ever make this into a quilt, I would definitely add some shading to the pig to have it more closely resemble the pig in the game.

The inside sashing was added to help separate the blocks a little bit, but when I originally made it I didn’t have the sashing and it looked just fine. That’s totally up to the quilter.

Anyways, congrats on getting through most of the week! Two days left!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s